Step by step work in progress during the making of "Poppies for my Grandfather" (watercolour and ink).
Masking and glazing
After two layers of masking, I tried a new technique with the washes/glazes in the background with this painting. I used very transparent serial glazes in an attempt to add depth and warmth, starting with yellows and building to reds and maroons.
Detail was added to the flowers and buds gradually, using a tiny 20/0 brush to apply detailed hatching to shadow areas on the petals with darker shades of watercolour, and ink for the stems and closed buds.
I finished the poppies in multiple colours because I wanted the painting to be a happy reminder of a wonderful life lived, not a painful reminder of passing.